Thursday 9 March 2017

Butterflies Sending Wishes Double Z Fold Card & Matching Gift Box

My lovely friends Lesley and Wendy came to have a crafty play with me last Saturday and I designed a butterflies Double Z Fold card for them to make plus a matching square gift box.  I was inspired by this very pretty card made by Janine Rawlins that I found on Pinterest.  When I CASE a card I usually like to tweak a bit and add a couple of touches of my own.  While I do love the soft colours in the SU! 'Falling In Love' suite I like to add a hint of strong colour when working with pastel shades for a pop of contrast.  I added some Early Espresso to the mix of Sweet Sugarplum, Soft Sky and Very Vanilla.  I used three different papers from the 'Falling In Love' DSP pack, added a large die cut butterfly to the design and placed my sentiment in a different position.

Here are the card and box together.


Here are a couple of pics showing the front view of the double Z fold card.  I attached the Early Espresso detailed butterfly shapes to the solid butterfly shapes by applying glue to the bodies only, leaving the wings unglued for a bit of dimension.  I added pearls to each butterfly body.



Here's a view from the top so you can see the Double Z Fold construction.


A side view of the card.  I adhered the sentiment oval and the butterflies flat to the card rather than using Dimensionals so that the card didn't end up too bulky when it was closed.


I glued a panel to the back of the card so I have somewhere to write a message.


Here's the card folded closed ready to be placed in the envelope.


I decorated the envelope flap with an oval butterfly element.


I used the Gift Box Punch Board to make a 2 1/2" square gift box.  The box can be closed with interlocking slots on the top but I find it can be a bit faffy to interlock them so I've tied ribbon around the box to hold it closed.  The colour blue in the 'Falling In Love' suite is Soft Sky but as I don't have any Soft Sky ribbon I used Pool Party stitched satin ribbon instead - and it matches really well!  


After I'd tied a knot in the ribbon I sneaked a bit of double sided tape underneath the ribbon on the sides of the box to hold it in place and I popped up a butterfly on each side of the box.  The recipient will be able to undo the bow and get into the box but the ribbon will stay attached to the box.


Here's a top view of the box.  I used an oval Stitched Shape Framelits die to create a tag.  I stamped the 'for you' onto the patterned paper, die cut the oval, glued the patterned paper to a Very Vanilla oval shape, punched a small hole and tied the tag to the bow using Early Espresso baker's twine.  


Saturdays are usually a work day for me so it was a real treat to be able to spend time with good friends, it was wonderful, a very happy day indeed!  

I'm not quite sure what I've done to deserve it but I have time off this weekend as well, yay!  I've asked my friend Jan to come round for a crafty play on Saturday.  I recently placed a Stampin' Up! order and the box of goodies arrived this evening.  The 'Window Shopping' bundle is one of the items I ordered and Jan has asked if she can make a card and matching box using the bundle.  I'm so looking forward to trying out some new goodies in my craft room tomorrow!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Butterfly Basics' & 'Birthday Blooms' sets
CS: SU! Sweet Sugarplum, Soft Sky, Early Espresso & Very Vanilla

Patterned paper: SU! 'Falling In Love' DSP
Ink: SU! Early Espresso
Tools: SU! 'Butterflies' Thinlits, 'Bold Butterfly' Framelits & 'Stitched Shape' Framelits die sets, Gift Box Punch Board, small handheld circle punch
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Pool Party stitched satin ribbon, pearl jewels, Dimensionals







No comments:

01 09 10