Thursday 4 August 2016

Sparkly Silver Star Spinner Card

Thanks to my very lovely friend Lesley I was able to play with the SU! 'Sliding Star Framelits' die set.  I watched this SU! video on YouTube before I used the dies and I'm glad I did because Holly mentions orientation of the dies - which is important if you want to make a SPINNER card rather than a SLIDER card.

I made my star element by layering two die cut star shapes which I fixed together with a black brad.  I used two pennies sandwiched together with a round 3d foam pad as the spinner mechanism.  I tried it first using the circle track - the element spun nicely when it was at the bottom but it didn't move so smoothly when trying to manoeuvre it up and round. I tried it with the arch track, oriented as a 'smiley face' and it spun beautifully!    I love spinner cards and much prefer them to slider cards but that's just a personal preference.  I remembered making THIS CARD for Owen back in 2014 which shows that as long as you have circle dies you can easily make a circle track card.  For me the best die in this set is the arch and when used as a 'smiley face' rather than a 'rainbow' the spin is fabulous!

I made an A6 black card base, added a white mat layer and a piece of black CS to show through the arch aperture.  I popped up the black arch track panel and placed the star spinner element in the track.  I then added the sparkly silver strip, the popped up sentiment and two small stars.


The card is quite bulky because of the popped up elements so it was a tight squeeze into a normal envelope so I used a gusseted envelope.  Here's how I decorated the inside and the front of the envelope.


This card will be given to a lovely young man, Will, who is leaving Wilko soon to go to university.  I asked him what he would be studying and it's physics and astrophysics.  A no brainer to use stars on his card then!

Supplies:
Stamps: Penny Black 'Every Happiness' set
CS: SU! Basic Black & Whisper White, Silver Glimmer Paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Tools: SU! 'Sliding Star' Framelits die set, Sizzix 'Stars' Framelits die set, Spellbinders 'Label Trio' die set, Sizzix 'Card, Fancy Frame Flip-its #2' Framelits die set
Embellishments & accessories: black brad, 3D foam pads & SU! Dimensionals


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10