Tuesday 2 June 2015

'One Layout, Four Cards' Glitter Pot Class Cards

Sadly, Saturday was my last day running classes at the Glitter Pot.  I ran an all day 'One Layout, Four Cards' class.  What a great day, we managed to enjoy ourselves and not get TOO sad!

This is the layout I used - I based it on a birthday card I received from Carol, a friend from card group.  Carol said it's a familiar design she uses in her patchwork and quilting and told me the recommended sizing is a background square of 5", an 'on the point' square forming the diamond measuring 3 1/2" and the foreground square measures 3" .  Based on those measurements I made each card base 5 1/4" square.  


This first card uses a Marianne Design 'Typewriter' stamps and dies set.  I don't know why but I found this typewriter irresistible and I love that there's a slot in the die cut so you can feed the sheet of paper through the slot - a sweet little design feature!  I kept things fairly simple with just three colours, some inked edges and silver Candi Dot embellishments.  I popped up the plain blue square and the typewriter.  This makes a good masculine card I think.


Usually for my layout classes I try to make rectangular and square cards using the same sketch to show how layouts can be versatile.  This layout definitely works best with squares so I kept to all square cards this time.  I still wanted to change things up a little though and I decided to make one of the cards on the class an easel card.  I dry embossed the pink panel with an embossing folder and scuffed the embossing with sandpaper before gluing it to the blue square panel.  The stamp I used (Woodware 'Happy Tiles') isn't suitable for a square card if used 'as is' as it's a long rectangular stamp.  I stamped the image onto watercolour paper using VersaFine Onyx Black ink, sprinkled on clear embossing powder and heat embossed the image.  I then coloured and cut out just three elements from the stamped image and arranged them on the foreground square.  You've got to love versatility in crafty items!  I coloured the images with Distress Inks and a water brush and popped each element up.  The sentiment panel is popped up and acts as the stop for the easel.  I cut out two black squares with a punch and cut each square in half to form the corner accents.  Pretty pink punched butterflies completed the card. 


This layout is great for using with patterned paper and I loved this cheery Doodlebug design when I saw it with the flowers on one side and the yellow dotty pattern on the reverse.  I used the flowery side for the diamond shape and die cut three flowers using the yellow dotty side.  I kept the points on the diamond shape but softened the other two squares by rounding each corner with a punch.  I inked the edge of each petal with Wild Honey Distress Ink, shaped each flower and stacked them together.  I popped up the green square, die cut a white flourish, glued it in place and added the flower.  I punched several red circles, stacked them together, glued them on top of a larger green circle and added Glossy Accents to the top red circle.  I punched two 1/4" red circles to go on opposite sides of the green square and added a gem to each circle.  



For the last card I decided to change things up again and I made an ivory  gatefold card plus I reversed the order of the layout elements, opting for a diamond, square and another diamond. I've gone for a fave combo of bright pink, green and black.  I love the bold, vibrant, contempo vibe going on here - a very sassy little number!  I stacked three different sized die cut flowers together and glued that in place over the leaves.  Before popping up the green square I added the three strips of narrow ribbon.  I cut a sliver of green CS, threaded that through the button holes (I can very, very, rarely leave buttons naked!) and adhered the button to the flower centre with a glue dot.  I finished off the card with a sprinkling of gems.


Hmmmm, it's not just the layout that all four cards have in common - look at all those dots!  I honestly didn't realise I'd chosen dots for every card until I got out the supplies and started creating - so a 'Going Dotty With Ruth' day as well as a 'One Layout, Four Cards' class!  I know some of my class regulars would say 'no change there then!'

Supplies for typewriter card:
Stamps: Marianne Designs 'Typewriter' stamps & dies combo set
CS: Glitter Pot thick & medium white CS, black CS, Bazzill Bling 'Black Tie', silver mirri CS

Patterned paper: Bo Bunny 'Ocean' Double Dot
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black & London Fog
Tools: Marianne Designs 'Typewriter' die & stamps combo set, sponge daubers
Embellishments & accessories: Craftwork Cards Regal Silver Candi Dots, 3D foam tape & pads 


Supplies for easel card:
Stamps: Woodware 'Happy Tiles'
CS: Glitter Pot thick white CS, black CS, Tumbled Glass & Worn Lipstick Tim Holtz Distressed CS

Patterned paper: Simple Stories Color Vibe 'Peacock'
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black, Tim Holtz Gathered Twigs, Mowed Lawn, Mustard Seed, Peacock Feathers & Worn Lipstick Distress Inks
Tools: X Cut Foliage Pattern embossing folder, Woodware Regular 'Butterfly 2' punch, Woodware Big 'Square' punch, water brush
Embellishments & accessories: ultrafine sandpaper, 3D foam tape 


Supplies for yellow flower card:
Stamps: none
CS: Glitter Pot thick & medium white CS, Bazzill Dotted Swiss 'Phoenix' & 'Irish Eyes'

Patterned paper: Doodlebug Sunkissed 'Pretty Petunias'
Ink: Tim Holtz Wild Honey Distress Ink
Tools: Spellbinders Shapeabilities 'Flower Play' die set, MFT Die-Namics 'Fancy Flourish' die, circle punches, X Cut corner rounder punch, sponge dauber, flower shaper & moulding mat
Embellishments & accessories: Ranger Glossy Accents, PaperMania silver stones, 3D foam tape


Supplies for pink flower gatefold card:
Stamps: none
CS: Glitter Pot Natural Ivory CS, black CS, Bazzill 'Limeade', Core'dinations 'Amazon'

Patterned paper: Core'dinations Core Basics 'Dark Pink Large Dot'
Ink: none
Tools: Spellbinders Shapeabilities 'Flower Play' die set, flower shaper & moulding mat
Embellishments & accessories: narrow black satin ribbon, black button, PaperMania silver stones, 3D foam tape, glue dot 


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10