Saturday 14 September 2013

Snowflake Merry Christmas Card - 52 {C}CT Sept Colour Challenge

It's time for the September colour challenge at 52 {C}CT this week.  I'm the challenge hostess for September and I've chosen one of my favourite combos for Christmas cards - red, white and kraft.

 

I have a fab circle of crafting friends and I feel very fortunate that we're all willing to loan each other crafty goodies.  My friend Angela and I swapped a few bits and pieces and I'm thrilled that I got to play with the fancy Sizzix circle die.  Having used it quite a few times I loved it and knew I was going to have a hard time giving it back - so I've got my own now!  I started by die cutting the fancy circle from Real Red CS and I built the card from there.

The Crumb Cake card base measures 5 1/4" square.  I am loving the new SU! Festive Flurry stamps and dies and I love the way the snowflakes look on the fancy die cut circle!  I stamped the second largest snowflake from the set onto Crumb Cake CS, heat embossed with white powder and die cut the snowflake.  I stamped a smaller snowflake from the set in Real Red ink on white CS, cut just the centre piece out and popped it up over the Crumb Cake shape.  I added a strip of self adhesive white lace trim and tied red gingham ribbon in a bow next to the lace.  Next I stamped the sentiment and added the fancy red circle to the card front.  I popped the red circle and the Crumb Cake snowflake up.  I added rhinestone jewels so the card has some seasonal sparkle.

 
I cut a white panel for inside the card and layered a stamped sentiment over the top of a stamped snowflake - I do love the look of layered stamping!  I inked the snowflake with Crumb Cake ink and stamped off on scrap paper once before stamping on the inside panel.  I added a strip of stamped gingham to the bottom of the panel and thought that was it - maybe!  I held the card at arms length and wondered what red dots added to the snowflake points would look like.  I punched tiny dots and laid them in place and I liked how they looked so I glued them down.  I liked the red dots so much I ended up adding some to the Crumb Cake snowflake on the card front!


Having now definitely finished the card I started decorating the envelope.  As I'd loved the lace and gingham combo on the card front I decided to echo that on the envelope front.  I stamped the Viola's Lace direct to the envelope but stamped the gingham onto a strip of CS, trimmed it and glued it next to the lace image.  I stamped and layered a snowflake which I popped up over a Crumb Cake 2" punched circle.  All done and I was happy how it all turned out!


Please check out the cards the other DT members have made - including our guest DT member Margaret M!  I hope you'll join in with our 52 {C}CT colour combo challenge this week, I'm looking forward to seeing your red, white and kraft festive cards!

Supplies:
Stamps:  SU! 'Festive Flurry' set,  Stampendous 'Christmas Wishes' clear set,  Hero Arts 'Holiday Cheer' clear set, SU! 'Gingham' & 'Viola's Lace' wheel stamps
CS: SU! Crumb Cake, Real Red & Whisper White
Ink: VersaMark, SU! Crumb Cake & Real Red
Tools:  SU! 'Festive Flurry' Framelits dies, fancy circle from Sizzix  'For the Record 2, Documented' Thinlits die set, Woodware 2" circle punch, 1/8" handheld circle punch, heat tool
Embellishments & accessories: Woodware self adhesive white lace trim, SU! white embossing powder, red & white gingham ribbon, Rhinestone Jewels & Dimensionals


 photo CardFuchsiaRuth.gif

6 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

Ruth - what a fabulous card and envelope. I really like that snowflake and the fancy circle is just lovely. I love the envelope too.

Mynn xx said...

LOVE those snowflakes, Ruth! This color combo is SO gorgeous--it's so elegant! :) HUGS and hope you have a great week! :) Mynn xx

Jacqueline said...

Hi Ruth - stunning card, love the touch of gingham too - Jacqueline xx

Danielle Vincent said...

That snowflake looks fabulous against the fancy circle die cut (no wonder you had to have one of your own). Beautiful card - LOVE your color combo choice. Hugs D

Patricia Hays said...

Ruth, my friend, you are an enabler. Your card has convinced me that I definitely need that snowflake set. And as soon as I finish commenting, I will be Googling a source for that fancy circle die. Your card is stunning, both inside and out, and so is the envelope. Applause, applause!

Louise van Vuren said...

Thank you for choosing this combo, I just love it and I love your card too. The gingham and lace sets off the snowflake perfectly. Amazing inside and envelope too. It's good to be back!

Louise xx

01 09 10