Saturday 15 December 2012

Crackers Christmas Cheer Card - 52 {C}CT Dec Theme Challenge

We have a fun theme challenge over at 52 {C}CT this week - Christmas crackers!  Crackers are such a traditional part of a British Christmas but maybe that's not so for other parts of the world.  As crackers usually contain a toy, hat and joke you could interpret the challenge by using any one of those elements in your card.

The jokes are often terrible, the hats are ginormous, flimsy and garish and the gifts may well be naff - but I still firmly believe a Christmas dinner table is not complete without crackers!  We went out to a restaurant for a Christmas meal with some friends last Saturday night and we all  had crackers by our plates.  I was delighted with the gift inside my cracker - a giant silver coloured paperclip - I know I can do something crafty with that! 

Anyway, onto my card.  To make the crackers on my card I have used a Sizzix Sizzlits die that I have had for years - it came in a Christmas themed set and I don't think I've used the crackers die 'til now!  I die cut 6 crackers using two patterned papers and then I added glitter CS strips and tiny punched snowflakes to decorate them.  I die cut 6 more CS crackers and glued them behind the patterned paper ones so they're more sturdy.  I popped up the crackers onto an Old Olive panel and layered that onto Cherry Cobbler CS and Champagne Glimmer Paper mats.  I stamped the sentiment in gold pigment ink and heat embossed with Jeweled Gold embossing powder so it's very sparkly.  I cut out the sentiment with a label die and added 3 gold glitter snowflakes to finish off the front.


I stamped another sentiment inside, added some of the holly paper, a gold glitter strip and a snowflake.  I punched holly for the envelope flap and added red glitter berries. 


Well, that's it from us at 52 {C}CT for 2012, this is our last challenge of the year and I hope you'll be able to grab some creative time amongst all the festive preparations and play along with us.  We would love to see you back on 5th January for the start of the 2013 Christmas card journey!  I'm already excited as January is my month to host the challenges!  I hope you'll come along to see what I've got lined up for you and I'll be chuffed to bits if you play along!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Sweet Essentials set, Hero Arts 'Very Merry Christmas' clear set
CS: SU! Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla & Champagne Glimmer Paper

Patterned paper:  Basic Grey Fruitcake & Bo Bunny red dotty
Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler, Encore gold pigment ink
Tools: Sizzix Crackers Sizzlits die, Spellbinder's Labels Trio die, Woodware tiny snowflake punch, Martha Stewart Holly Branch punch
Embellishments & accessories: Stamp 'n Stuff Jeweled Gold embossing powder, SU! Rhinestone Jewels, Dimensionals



Photobucket

6 comments:

sandie said...

how good is it you got to use a die you have had for ages! Perfect card to end the year!

kelly said...

fab card Ruth, sorry I have been MIA forever! I'm using my dodgy laptop to post comments so I hope it works! Great card, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your January challenges!! Tough month to get.
Kelly xx

Louise van Vuren said...

Hi Ruth it's great when you get to use something which you've had for ages but not got round to using. These little cracker die cuts are perfect too- Christmas colours and sparkle, love it!

Louise xx

Unknown said...

That's so beautiful! Inspired me to make a new years card :)

Mynn xx said...

These are amazing colors together, Ruth! LOVE the touch of champagne in the glitter paper! And your little crackers are fabulous! What a great die to have! :)

Danielle Vincent said...

This is so awesome Ruth! I love how those crackers look on your card and that you got to use a neglected die :o) Merry Christmas dear lady!

01 09 10