Saturday 28 April 2012

Split Negative Just For You Cards - Simply Stampin' Challenge #57

This week it's a theme challenge at Simply Stampin' and it's 'Perfect Pairs'.  For some reason I was a little stumped by this challenge at first but I started putting a card together and while I was making it a light bulb went on and I remembered the split negative technique.  I came across it a long time ago but have never tried it and it occurred to me it would be ideal to use for the 'Perfect Pairs' challenge as you end up with pieces to make a pair of cards!

I've used black and white but the technique can be used with any colour ink.  You stamp the same image, one in a dark colour and another in a light colour, cut the images in half and put the opposite colours together.  There is a split negative tutorial here on Splitcoast Stampers.  I cut pieces of black and white CS to the same size (the size of the Medallion wood block), stamped the Medallion in black ink, cleaned the stamp, inked it with VersaMark ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder.  I made sure to use the Stamp-a-ma-jig handle when stamping so that the images would be in the same place on both pieces of CS and the black and white pieces would line up nicely.  I then trimmed the pieces into 5" squares and cut them in half diagonally, cutting both pieces together in my trimmer.

I've used 5 3/4" square black card bases and Brushed Silver mats to layer my split negative squares onto.  I wanted to use the same split negative technique for my element in the centre of the Medallion and I used scalloped circles as they're easy to cut in half.  I punched the two Button Buddies flowers out, cut them in half and placed the black and white halves together - attaching the pieces to a smaller punched circle behind.  I stamped the sentiments and then went looking for something suitable to put in the flower centres.  I wanted to use a gorgeous Antique brad but I found that I don't have 2 of the same design and I really wanted the cards to be identical to tie in with the Perfect Pairs theme.  I don't have SU! buttons in the Neutrals family either.  I could have used coloured buttons but I wanted to keep the design monochrome with some silver.  I did find some large SU! silver brads in my stash which came from the retired Hodgepodge Hardware kit so I used two of those.  The flowers are popped up with Dimensionals.

 
Here's a photo showing just one card.


This photo shows the inside and envelope - I decorated both cards the same way.  The flourish is from the Everything Eleanor set, the sentiment is from the Happiest Birthday Wishes set and I used the fab Triple Treat flower for the envelope flaps.  I love how that looks stamped in black on white!  What a fun technique and you can make two cards at the same time!


I hope you will join in 'two' with our Perfect Pairs challenge!  I'd love to come and see your fab creations!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Medallion stamp, Button Buddies, Precious Butterflies, Everything Eleanor, Happiest Birthday Wishes sets, Triple Treat Flower À la Carte stamp
CS: SU! Basic Black, Whisper White & Brushed Silver
Ink: SU! Basic Black, VersaMark
Tools: 1 3/4" Scallop Circle punch, 1 3/8" Circle punch, 5 Petal Flower punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! white embossing powder, silver Hodgepodge Hardware brads, Dimensionals



Photobucket

7 comments:

kelly said...

I have never tried this technique before, but I have very twitching inky fingers now, looks very impressive. Could do you it with colours as well?
The medallion stamp is one of my favourites, looks fab in the black and white!
Kelly xx

Kirei said...

Love this techique Ruth, it is very effective and works really well with the Medallion stamp! Kirei x

Anonymous said...

Oh,what lovely cards. Very classy indeed. I would like to have a go, so next time I see you ? ......
See you soon.
Love Debbie x

Mynn xx said...

Um, this is fantastic!!!!!!! May I CASE this one?! LOVE it!!!

Amanda Burditt said...

Really striking! I've never tried this split negative technique but think I will have to give it a go now! xx

Margaret said...

Fantastic technique and a gorgeous card!

kathi17 said...

Beautiful cards. I've never tried that technique before, but your cards are inspiring me to try it.

Yours are lined up so perfectly!

01 09 10