Thursday 26 April 2012

Snowflake Square Swing Card - 52 CCT Theme Challenge #4

This week's challenge at the 52 CCT blog is right up my alley as the theme is snowflakes - and I LOVE snowflakes! 

 I bought a new die with some birthday money - a Sizzix Flip-its die which cuts and scores a swing card.  It took me ages to decide which shape to get but I reckoned the square would be the most sensible and versatile option.  I'd watched a couple of Sizzix videos showing the dies and I liked the look of using double sided patterned papers so I went looking for some to use with my new die.  After choosing a few I wondered if there would be any snowflake papers available but as it was April I didn't hold out much hope.  Imagine my delight when I spotted the absolutely delicious Bo Bunny 'Snowfall' papers - an unusual colour combo for Christmas which is always a winner with me - plus they are glittered!   I die cut the swing card, die cut a Baja Breeze snowflake and mounted that onto Crumb Cake and Chocolate Chip square mats with a rhinestone brad. I popped up the Choc Chip mat layer.



I stamped and punched a circle element to go on the back of the swing and I matted that on a Choc Chip square.  I didn't want to cover up too much of the paper - especially the glittered blue snowflake at the top! 


I will write my message on the back so I added a stamped and die cut sentiment panel there.  I punched out a circle of the patterned paper that had part of a glittered snowflake on and layered it to go on the envelope flap.  The die cut card measures a tad over 6 3/4" x 5" and the closed card measures 5" square so you can cut 2 from a piece of 12" x 12" paper and have some left over.  I know you could make a swing card by cutting and scoring but this die cuts and scores a swing card perfectly, quickly and easily - and I LOVE that!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! So Many Scallops set, Penny Black 'A Merry Christmas'
CS: SU! Baja Breeze, Crumb Cake & Chocolate Chip
Patterned paper: Bo Bunny Snowfall 'Hot Chocolate'  glittered double sided paper
Ink: SU! Chocolate Chip
Tools:  Sizzix 'Card, Square Flip-its' die, Sizzix Snowflake #23 Sizzlits die, square Nestabilities dies, circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU! clear rhinestone brad, 3d foam pads



Photobucket

6 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

Wow Ruth - your card is a knockout! Swing cards are a new thing for me - might go in search of those dies if this is what they can do. Love that you matched the envelope too ;-)

Betty Benton said...

Oh, Ruth, this card is fantastic! Love the paper and your swinging snowflake!!

Mynn xx said...

Hi, Ruth! Another absolutely stunning creation from you--LOVE the special fold and that you've decorated every square inch! Thanks for joining us at 52CC! :)

Vicky Hayes said...

Wow - it's amazing Ruth and I love the coordinating envelope. Vicky x

Jacqueline said...

Hi Ruth - another stunning card - thanks for joining in at 52CCT - this week - Jacqueline xx

Margaret said...

Ruth, you are killing my crafting budget!! This is so awesome!! The paper you chose is gorgeous and I love that we can see both patterns at the same time! The non-traditional colors are fantastic too!

01 09 10