Saturday 31 December 2011

Bright Button Buddies Thank You Card - Simply Stampin' Challenge #40

This week's Simply Stampin' challenge is a sketch challenge.

 I pondered this sketch for a while before starting to create a card and I decided I would use circles in place of the bunting shapes on the sketch.  I know card layouts are one area where things can go awry for me sometimes, I'm unhappy with a finished card if the balance seems off.  I love sketches because they set the layout for you and you can use them as a starting point and then tweak a bit if you'd like to.  They're a great resource for card makers for sure!  Go on, join us at Simply Stampin' this week and make a card using this fab sketch, I'd love to come and see what you create!

 I thought I would break out some new goodies that I received as Christmas gifts - the Button Buddies stamp set and some buttons.  Oh my goodness, this set is fun to use, I love it!  I knew from looking at the sketch that I wanted to use a panel of patterned paper on my card so my first step was to select the paper.  That took a while but once I'd decided on the bright Big Top Birthday pattern I took my colour combo from the paper.  I made a 5 3/4" square Old Olive card base and then decorated a Tempting Turquoise mat to layer on the base.  I stamped the vase of flowers in Old Olive ink, stamped the vase separately in Tempting Turquoise ink, cut it out and layered it over the top.  I threaded Tempting Turquoise CS strips through the holes of the sweet flower shaped buttons and attached them with glue dots.  I used a square punch to make a flag shape to the sentiment banner and added more colourful buttons.  I punched 3/4" circles from two patterns of Big Top Birthday paper, layered them on 1" Old Olive punched circles and I popped them up with Dimensionals.


I glued a white CS panel inside with a stamped vase and a strip of patterned paper.  I used markers to ink the stamp.  The flower buttons are lovely to add to this image but I really like just the stamped flowers too!  I stamped just the stems, leaves and flowers on white CS, punched with the 1 3/8" circle punch and layered onto a Real Red scalloped circle for the envelope flap.


This bright and breezy little number was sent off in the post to thank Kelly for this very special Christmas gift she made for me. A personalised notebook in fabulous colours with butterflies and bling - I LOVE it!  Thank you so much Kelly!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Button Buddies & Curly Cute sets
CS: SU! Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red & Whisper White
Patterned paper: SU! Big Top Birthday DSP pack
Ink: SU! Old Olive, Tempting Turquoise, Pumpkin Pie & Real Red
Tools: SU! 3/4", 1" & 1 3/8" circle punches & SU! 1 3/4" Scallop Circle punch, SU! 1 1/4" square punch

Embellishments & accessories: SU! Brights Designer Buttons, SU! Dimensionals


Photobucket

6 comments:

kelly said...

The card is beautiful, I didn't even realise until I'd had it off the mantle piece to have a 4th look at it that it was made using this weeks sketch! I'm so pleased that you like my notebook. You're photograph does it justice.
Kelly xx

Alison xx said...

Beautiful card Ruth. It's so bright and cheery for the New Year. A xx

Kirei said...

Love the bright colours and how you have used circles instead of regular bunting! Very nice!
Kirei x

Margaret said...

What a great use of the sketch! I love the DSP with the buttons and your cute vase! The inside is every bit as pretty as the front!
Your notebook is wonderful too! What a terrific gift!

Sue said...

Great makes Ruth all stunning and just popping by to wish you and yours a very Happy new year Luv Sue x

kelly said...

Loving the new look blog Ruth, I have just changed mine back to normal but I may not to go for a new look too.
Kelly xx

01 09 10