Tuesday 2 August 2011

For You Birthday Card - CC334 Colour Combo Challenge

The CC334 colour combo for the Splitcoast Stampers challenge today took me right outside my comfort zone!  The colours are white, grey and turquoise.  I hardly ever use grey in my cards, I occasionally will use grey ink but grey CS is a rarity for me.  I know grey is a useful basic neutral but I tend to think it's blah!  The dessert option for the challenge was to use a die cut.  It just so happens I have a new die (and a new punch) so I thought, what the heck, I'll try this colour combo and use my new goodies at the same time.

I started off with a Basic Gray A6 side opening landscape card.  I punched the border with Tempting Turquoise CS and added 1" white circles behind the flower elements.  Oh my word, this is a beautiful punch, I LOVE it!  I received a stamp set that I'd purchased from an eBay seller and she also sent me two other stamp sets in error, they should have been sent to a buyer in Australia.  I told the seller and offered to ship them to the correct person.  After I'd done that the seller gave me a credit to spend in her eBay store and I chose this gorgeous SU! Lace Ribbon Border punch. The swirly, leafy shapes were cut using a Marianne Creatables die.  After attaching the die cut shapes I added the teeny punched flowers.  After punching the flowers with the Itty Bitty flower punch, I used an embossing stylus in the centre of each flower to make them cup shaped.  I added the sentiment element and finished off with some turquoise gems.


I then cut a white panel for inside the card, added a turquoise leafy die cut shape and used grey and turquoise markers to ink the sentiment.  I put a turquoise punched strip down the left hand side of the envelope.  I punched 1/4" grey circles and added them to the flower centres. 


I think this is a very striking and interesting colour combo.  I might well make a Christmas card in these colours.  I'll probably not ever love grey in my card making but maybe I'll use it a tad more often!

Supplies:
Stamps: 'for you' from SU! Fresh Cuts set, inside sentiment from Hero Arts
CS: SU! Basic Gray, Tempting Turquoise and Whisper White
Ink: SU! Basic Gray & Tempting Turquoise
Tools: SU! Lace Ribbon Border, Itty Bitty Flower, Word Window, Modern Label, 1" circle & 1/4" circle punches, Branch Garden Marianne Creatables die, embossing stylus & moulding mat
Embellishments & accessories: Kaisercraft turquoise gems


Photobucket

1 comment:

kelly said...

wow, i really like this colour combo think I may have to give this one a go to! I have some basic grey CS but like you I've never used it in a card.
Kelly xx

01 09 10