Saturday 10 August 2013

Suspended Ornament Tent Card - 52 {C}CT August Colour Challenge

Sarah has chosen a wonderful colour combo for us this week at 52 {C}CT - red and metallic gold - so very festive!

 

I came across a stunningly beautiful card on Pinterest that had a suspended snowflake and I wanted to CASE it and make my version right that second, absolutely immediately - but I couldn't 'cos I was still awaiting my SU! goodies!  So what's an impatient crafty gal to do but to make a card using the same principle using what she HAS got?!  I thought if I made a suspended ornament card that would keep me going a bit until I can make the snowflake card!  I used Cherry Cobbler CS for the 4 3/4" square card base and I embossed snowflakes onto a Whisper White panel for inside the card.  I stamped two ornaments in gold pigment ink, heat embossed them with Jeweled Gold powder and die cut them.  I then glued the two shapes together sandwiching a piece of gold thread between them. 

I cut a circle aperture in the front of the card, pierced a hole above the circle and poked the gold thread through the hole so that the ornament swings freely inside the aperture.  Once I was happy with the position of the ornament I taped the ends of the thread down.  I die cut two gold frames for the aperture (for the front and back) in order to hide the hole and thread ends.  I heat embossed the sentiment, added gold snowflakes plus photo corners and I then sprinkled on some red crystals.


To make this a tent card I cut and scored a piece of Whisper White CS to form a W shape and I glued that inside to the front and back of the card.  This side view photo will show you what I mean.  There is this tent card tutorial on Splitcoast Stampers if you'd like to make one yourself.  Top fold cards can be a nuisance if they don't stand up so this ensures the card stands up very nicely.  Also, there's a bonus - it ensures that come Christmas the recipient has to display your card on the mantelpiece as it can't be hung over the suspended string they've rigged up around the room to display their festive cards! * wink *   Sometimes it's OK to be crafty in the other sense of the word LOL!


I cut a square white panel for the back of the card, stamped and heat embossed the sentiment and cut it out with a circle die.  For the envelope. I stamped and heat embossed a circle image from the Keepsake Ornaments set, cut it out with a 1" circle punch and layered it onto a gold 1 1/4" mat circle. 


So that's what I made, my teamies will have made fab cards to inspire you so now it's your turn to get creating!  Please join us for this luscious Christmassy colour challenge at 52 {C}CT, you'll be happy to add another Christmas card to the box and we'll be glad to visit your blogs and see your cards!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Keepsake Ornaments' & 'Greetings of the Season' sets, Stampendous 'Merry Wish'
CS: SU! Cherry Cobbler & Whisper White, Creative Expressions Gold Satin CS
Ink: Encore gold pigment ink
Tools: Circle Nestabilities dies, Cuttlebug snowflakes embossing folder from 'Winter Wonderland' set, Sizziz 'Photo Corners #2' Sizzlits die, Fiskars snowflake punch, 1" & 1 1/4" circle punches, SU! Simply Scored, heat tool
Embellishments & accessories: Stampendous 'Jeweled Gold' embossing powder, deep red Swarovski crystals, gold thread


 photo RoseRuth.gif 



8 comments:

Louise van Vuren said...

oohh I want to make one like this too!! It's gorgeous Ruth, so elegant with a touch of sophistication! Perfect for the colour combo this week

Louise xx

Danielle Vincent said...

Awesome idea Ruth I can see why you were so inspired. This is absolutely fabulous. I love the ten card idea too - must check it out. Stunning and quite fabulous my dear.

Pia S said...

What an elegant and sparkly Christmas design! Fantastic color combination for a Christmas card, and a beautiful design too!

Mynn xx said...

Never made a tent card, but this is awesome!!! LOVE the texture behind that amazing ornament and the bling is fabulous! HUGS and happy weekend! :)

Jacqueline said...

This is gorgeous Ruth - I love tent cards. I can't wait to see what you do with your new goodies (I'm waiting for some too shhh!) - Jacqueline xx

sarahstone said...

This is stunning, Ruth. I just love the ornament and the way you suspended it. And that font for your sentiment is SO beautiful!

Deborah Frings said...

Wow - this is AMAZING!! I love the way the bauble swings and the pretty gems at the top. As always the sentiment and envelope are great!

Patricia Hays said...

I love the suspended ornament! Your card is so elegant and fabulous. You rocked this challenge! :)

01 09 10