Saturday 27 April 2013

Penguin On A Spring Christmas Card - 52 {C}CT Apr Technique Challenge

This week at 52 {C}CT we have such a fun technique challenge for you - punch art!

 

So, what is punch art?  For an example of punch art please visit this earlier blog post of mine to see how a snowman was made using various punches.  There are oodles of punch art examples around the web, if you search Google Images or Pinterest for 'punch art' you'll be spoilt for choice!

I chose to make a penguin made from the SU! Owl Builder punch - many thanks to Joanne for the instructions!



Once I'd assembled the penguin I decided I'd like to have an igloo on the card as well as some snowy ground.  To make the igloo I used my Circle Scissor tool to cut a semi circle and I stamped a brick wall over it in Baja Breeze ink.  For the entrance I stacked a few Large Oval punched shapes together and I sponged both shapes with Baja Breeze inks.  I tore Whisper White CS for snow, inked the edges and glued the igloo and snow to the card front.  I applied Cherry Cobbler Dazzling Details to the dots on my stamped and die cut tree and when that had dried I tucked the trunk behind the snow and popped up the upper part of the tree.  I thought the 'christmas cheer' sentiment was a good fit for this card!

I remembered I had some Christmas tree lights buttons in my stash.  I attached some to black wire and tried arranging some on the front of the igloo - hmmm, it may well have been easier to do that before I'd glued the igloo to the card!  So I decided to have the penguin hold a few lights instead as he hadn't been attached to the card yet.  I pierced holes in the penguin's flippers and threaded the wire through and taped the ends of the wire behind.  I then attached the penguin to the card on an action wobble spring - such a fun touch!  To finish off the front I added some small punched snowflakes with jewel centres.


Inside there's more snow, a sentiment and another glitter dotted tree.  Because of the wobble spring and the tree lights buttons this card is very dimensional and won't fit in a normal envelope.  I've used a C6 expandable envelope which has gusseted sides.  I've placed another tree onto punched circles and glued just the top of the circle to the narrow flap.  Once I've written the card and it's ready to be delivered I'll apply repositionable glue to the bottom half of the circle to keep the envelope closed.


I'll let you imagine the fun I had in my craft room putting this cheery card together!  I hope you'll join in with our Punch Art challenge this week and enjoy making your own cards as much as I did!  I look forward to visiting your blogs to see what you've made after you've got creative with your punches!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Sweet Essentials', 'Scentsational Season' & 'Wacky Wishes' sets, Penny Black 'Brick Wall'
CS: SU! Baja Breeze, Basic Black, Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie & Cherry Cobbler, Red Glimmer Paper

Patterned paper:  SU! Snow Festival DSP
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Baja Breeze, Gumball Green & Cherry Cobbler
Tools: EK Success Circle Scissor Plus tool, SU! Owl Builder punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Extra Large Oval punch, SU! Holiday Collection Framelits die, Sizzix Banner Framelits die, Woodware small snowflake punch, circle Nestie dies, paper piercer, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Cherry Cobbler Dazzling Details, Christmas tree lights buttons, black wire, jewel rhinestones, Woodware action wobble spring, Dimensionals


 photo mousyruth.gif

10 comments:

sandie said...

Ruth, this is so clever and so much fun. I bet you had a ball making this!!

Deborah Frings said...

Love, love your cute penguin. I think the snowy scene and those Christmas lights are fab!

Danielle Vincent said...

Oh my Ruth, I am in love with your penguin and igloo! Thanks for showing us all the pieces and parts you used - so very kind of you - now it will be easier for me to CASE you! Hugs D

Pia S said...

This is the sweetest little Christmas card! The igloo turned out so great, and I like how you made the snowy ground. The penguin is adorable - would never have thought he started out as an owl - and those light bulbs make perfect embellishments! Well done!

sarahstone said...

You did a great job on that little penguin! I thought he was a sticker at first! And the igloo is just inspired! Such a fun card, Ruth, and I love the inside and the envelope too!

Louise van Vuren said...

I love using my Owl punch to make other birds too! What I think is amazing is your igloo! That's a great idea. The whole scene and the envelope and inside are all fab,you are so creative

Louise xx

Mynn xx said...

GENIUS!!! That igloo is amazing and I adore that darling penguin! Pinned! :)

Rosmarie said...

Hello Ruth,
What a great example of card you show us here! This little penguin is too cute and it's very clever how you assembled your wonderful card! Thank you for your nice words, ...unfortunately I did not have much time to comment in recent time...

Rosi x

Jacqueline said...

I so love your penguin wrapped up in his christmas lights - would love to see him wobble too! - Jacqueline xx

Patricia Hays said...

You've created a totally adorable scene here, Ruth! I love the penguin holding the lights, getting ready to decorate for the holidays. Fantastic job! :)

01 09 10