Saturday 6 April 2013

Gingerbread Sending Smiles Card - 52 {C}CT Apr Sketch Challenge

Our first April challenge for you at 52 {C}CT is this sketch - it's a goodie! 

  

It's a very versatile layout, I think it will work well with square or rectangular cards and would also look great in portrait orientation.  I decided I'd stick with landscape and I've used a 7" x 5" white card base.  I opted to ink up the cheery gingerbread man from the SU! Scentsational Season set and as he has a big smile I thought the 'sending smiles' sentiment was perfect!  I stamped three gingerbread men using Gingerbread chalk ink and I die cut them out.  I assembled the bottom panel, adding gingham ribbon and a die cut border edge to a piece of Old Olive polka dot paper.  I glued that to the card and added a thin strip of Real Red CS at the top.  

I went back to my trio of gingerbread men and then an idea came to me - how about making it look like the gingerbread men were on a baking sheet?  I cut a rectangle of silver CS, rounded the corners, added handles made from parts of a shape cut out with the SU! Round Tab punch and added tiny silver brads.  I popped up the baking sheet with 2mm thick 3D foam tape and used 1mm tape to pop up the gingerbread men.  I stamped and punched the sentiment, layered that onto a Modern Label shape cut from red Glimmer Paper and popped it up.  I added 3 red glittered dome stickers and used the Owl Builder punch to cut out red Glimmer Paper dots to use as buttons on the gingerbread men.

 
For the inside I used Real Red and Old Olive markers to ink the sentiment, punched it out with a scalloped circle punch, layered it onto a red Glimmer Paper plain circle and glued that to a strip of the Old Olive dotty paper.


I stamped and die cut the mug, steam and candy cane from the Scentsational Season set for the envelope flap.  I inked the mug with Old Olive ink, removed the ink from the drink part with a blender pen and then used an Early Espresso marker to add the drink colour.  I cut a slit in the mug, cut off the hook of the candy cane, tucked the steam and cane into the slit and taped them behind the mug.  I had a red Glimmer Paper dot left over and I glued that to the centre of the snowflake to finish off.


I hope you'll give this fab layout a try and enter our 52 {C}CT challenge this week, the other DT members will have great cards to inspire you!  I look forward to visiting your blogs and seeing your Christmas creations!

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Scentsational Season' & 'Wacky Wishes' sets, Hero Arts 'Mini Messages' Sparkle Clear mini set
CS: PaperMania 7" x 5" white card blank, SU! Real Red & Whisper White, red Glimmer Paper, Canford metallic silver CS

Patterned paper: SU! Polka Dot Parade DSP
Ink: VersaMagic Gingerbread chalk ink, SU! Old Olive, Real Red & Early Espresso, blender pen
Tools: dies from SU! Holiday Collection Framelits dies set, SU! Finishing Touches Edgelits die, SU! 2 3/8" scallop circle, 2 1/2" plain circle, Word Window, Modern Label, Round Tab & Owl Builder punches
Embellishments & accessories: red gingham ribbon, tiny silver brads, PaperMania red glittered dome stickers, 2mm & 1mm 3D foam tapes


 photo ruthcatinchair.gif

10 comments:

sandie said...

So much to like here but I have to say the ginger bread men on the baking tray is inspired!

Deborah Frings said...

Wonderful! I love the little gingerbread kids on the baking tray - fab idea! This is a really jolly Christmas card. I think your coordinating inside and envelope really complete the whole look!

Pia S said...

This is such a sweet and cheerful Christmas card! Nice, clean design!

Anonymous said...

So great Ruth! That cookie sheet is so unique and fun! I also love that you always finish your cards beautifully on the inside and with an envelope!
- Shauna

Louise van Vuren said...

We obviously had Christmas food and drink on our minds when we made our cards! Your baking tray is such great idea and I love all the other touches that make your card extra special
Louise xx

Mynn xx said...

Absolutely genius, Ruth! LOVE the idea of the cookie sheet--and those cookies look good enough to eat! Fabulous patterned paper, too! LOVE the edge...is that a die cut? I seem to remember seeing something similar in the SU! catalog and I LOVE it! On my "need" list I guess! ;) HUGS! :)

Patricia Hays said...

Turning the focal panel into a baking sheet for your gingerbread men was such a clever idea! It looks fantastic, and it certainly brought a smile to my face!

sarahstone said...

Can I just say, I LOVE that cookie sheet with the little gingerbread men on it!!! That's all. :)

Danielle Vincent said...

Fabulous Ruth!! I love those darling gingerbread men on that cookie sheet (what a terrific job you did on that). It's a yummy and wonderful card! Absolutely LOVE everything about it - almost a work of art!

Katy said...

This is so cute! I love that baking sheet! That is such a cool idea :)

01 09 10