Saturday 19 January 2013

Ornament Merriest Wishes Card - 52 {C}CT Jan Recipe Challenge

This week at 52 {C}CT we have a fun recipe challenge for you.  The recipe is:

  • patterned paper
  • glitter
  • & you must decorate the inside of the card as well as the card front


I used the SU! Snow Festival papers and chose my colour combo based on the colours in the papers.  I took the opportunity of using yet another New Year half price bargain - the Sizzix ornament die that comes with a matching embossing folder.  I have the stocking set and I love it so I couldn't resist the half price ornament set!  I cut the ornament from Cherry Cobbler Core'dinations CS, embossed it,  sanded the embossing and added glitter to some embossed parts by way of Star Dust Stickles.  Whilst that was drying I made the Primrose Petals 5 3/4" card base and assembled the mat layers.  I stamped the 'Merriest Wishes' onto Baja Breeze CS, cut it out with Decorative Label punch, sponged the edges with Cherry Cobbler ink, added some glittered dome stickers and popped the label up.  I tied a ribbon bow, attached it to the hole in the top of the ornament using a deep red glittered brad and popped the ornament up.



Close up view of the label with the glittered dome stickers.  They look like little snowballs don't they?!


 Close up view of the bow and glittered brad. 

 
I cut a Whisper White panel for inside the card and used more fun Snow Festival papers to decorate.


No surprises for the envelope - more Snow Festival papers used to decorate the envelope front!


I hope you agree that this is a fun recipe to work with - I certainly had a happy time making this card!  I know decorating the insides of your cards may be a new idea to some of you.  It doesn't have to add a lot of time to your project though, just adding a little element to tie it in with the card front kicks the design up a notch.  It can make a big difference and certainly makes the recipient feel they've received a special creation!   I've been decorating my card insides and envelopes for quite some time now and a card doesn't feel finished to me now unless I do it.  I'm chuffed to see I've influenced some of my fellow teamies to decorate more card insides now!  Also, I think it's another way we can set our hand made creations apart from shop bought cards, it really adds a special touch.  At least I spared you having to decorate the envelope in this recipe challenge ; ) - but please do that as well if you'd like to!

The other members of the DT will have fab cards to inspire you so do please check those out and then do join in with the challenge, I can't wait to see your creations, inside and out!  Don't forget, the DT call is still going on so keep those cards coming if you want to apply for a spot on the team, just remember to add DT after your name when you link up your card!

Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts 'Very Merry Christmas' clear set
CS: SU! Primrose Petals, Cherry Cobbler, Gumball Green, Baja Breeze & Whisper White, SU! Cherry Cobbler Core'dinations CS

Patterned paper:  SU! Snow Festival DSP
Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler
Tools: Sizzix 'Ornament #5' Bigz die with matching embossing folder, SU! Decorative Label punch, SU! Sanding System, Perfect Layers, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Gumball Green stitched satin ribbon, Star Dust Stickles, glittered dome stickers, DoveCraft glittered brad, 3D foam tape


Photobucket

6 comments:

sandie said...

Ruth, I have been waiting to see what you had in store for us this week and for a CAS lover this is a bit scary- patterned paper and glitter!!
I love the sanded embossing with added glitter and naturally the inside is a dream. I am not too sure if I will make it this week!!

Louise van Vuren said...

Love your colour choice and that ornament die and embossing folder is fab, don't blame you for picking up a bargain like that! Thanks for coming up with the 'recipe' I really loved doing this challenge Ruth, and you clearly are a master of decorated insides and envelopes!

Louise xx

Jacqueline said...

A fab recipe Ruth, I really enjoyed this challenge. Your card is gorgeous, love the cute owls inside - Jacqueline xx

Deborah Frings said...

Fabulous card and envelope. The ornament is just so pretty. Great work!

Mynn xx said...

This is gorgeous, Ruth! LOVE the glitter detail on this amazing card--such fabulous colors, too! Do you really like this color scheme? LOL--I think you must favor it somehow and everything you make with it is brilliant! HUGS! :)

Danielle Vincent said...

Gorgeous card Ruth. Love that large ornament against that DSP. I love how you used the DSP to do your inside sentiment too - very creative. Hugs to you. D

01 09 10