Tuesday 12 June 2012

Velveteen Stamped Flowers To You From Me Card

I've seen a new technique called velveteen stamping which I came across on Mynnette's Technique Tuesday blog.  I was very intrigued and had to play along with her challenge!  Mynnette gives really clear instructions with photos on her blog post so please check it out and have a go with this technique yourself!  It gives such a nice textured look to stamped solid images and it really is a simple technique!

I used a Penny Black background stamp and the SU! Fabulous Flowers set to make my card.  Now I have to admit I didn't get great results to start with.  I used white pigment ink  for my background stamp, heat set it, and then used Melon Mambo ink for my bold solid stamp image. I tried a few times and the background wasn't really showing through as it should.  So then I tried using Tim Holtz Picket White Distress Stain to ink my background stamp.  The stain is fluid pigment and much wetter than pigment ink and I blasted it with my heat gun for quite a while to dry the panel.  When I stamped my bold solid stamp over the top - wow, the results were MUCH better for me!  I've used Melon Mambo, Marina Mist, Lucky Limeade SU! inks plus Memento Tangelo and Grape Jelly inks.  I have to say the Melon Mambo doesn't look as good to me as the other colours so I'm wondering if certain inks work better than others.   Anyway, I was pretty happy with my finished stamped panel.  I trimmed it to size and layered it onto an Early Espresso mat.  I added some Old Olive ribbon, popped up a sentiment circle and added some gems to finish off the card front.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  I kinda, sorta tweaked the technique for the flowers for inside the card and the envelope.  I stamped the four flowers on a piece of white CS and then stamped the background stamp over the top of the flowers - I used the white Distress Stain again to ink the background stamp.  I blasted the flowers with heat to dry them, cut them out and added gems to the flower centres.  The white design stands out more doing it this way - but then strictly speaking it's not really using the velveteen stamping technique so I guess you could say I cheated - sorry Mynnette, hope I can be forgiven for the tweak!  


Supplies:
Stamps: Penny Black Delicate Pattern bg stamp, SU! Fabulous Flowers & Best Yet sets, Hero Arts Lots of Wonderful
CS: PaperMania A6 white card blank, SU! Early Espresso & Whisper White
Ink: Tim Holtz Picket White Distress Stain, SU! Melon Mambo, Marina Mist, Lucky Limeade & Early Espresso, Memento Tangelo & Grape Jelly
Tools: various circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Old Olive grosgrain ribbon, self adhesive half pearls, 3d foam pads



Photobucket

5 comments:

Ardyth said...

Gorgeous bright fun colours! Interesting technique - love the texture it gives!

Jacqueline said...

Lovely pretty card Ruth - Jacqueline xx

Mynn xx said...

OH...MY...WORD!!!!!!!! This is fabulous, Ruth! LOVE the amazing bright colors, and you've executed the technique perfectly! Thanks for joining me at Technique Tuesday! :)

Margaret said...

Beautiful and love the finished look from this technique!

Aileen said...

I'd say this looks fab Ruth. Love the bright colours and the flowers make a super panel. x

01 09 10