Friday 4 May 2012

Button Tree Merry Christmas Card - 52 CCT Embellishment Challenge #4

This week it's an embellishment challenge at the 52 CCT blog.  We are to use buttons and/or bows.


I was a tad concerned I wouldn't get a 52 CCT card made in time this week but I managed to get a card made today!  My card base is 5 3/4" square and was made with SU! Mellow Moss CS.  I decided to use some buttons to make a Christmas tree shape and I threaded gold sparkly thread through the buttonholes and tied knots.  I die cut a Whisper White rounded tag and punched a Real Red flower pot.  I embossed the pot with a spotty embossing folder and sponged Cherry Cobbler ink over the embossing and around the edges.  I put 3d foam tape behind the pot - a 3mm depth strip in the centre and 1mm depth pieces at the side - so that the pot has a rounded shape to it.  The pot was taller than I wanted it so after applying it to the rounded tag I chopped off the excess.  I've added a stamped and punched sentiment circle and two gingham bows.  I love red and white gingham, it always seems so cheery!  I rounded just the top right corner of the card and added a gem to the dot over the i in Christmas.


I added a stamped and die cut sentiment circle inside the card.  I coloured the holly with markers and added white gel pen highlights to the berries.  I embossed a strip of Mellow Moss CS with the Cuttlebug Holly Ribbons folder for the front of the envelope to finish off.  Phew, I'm glad I got this card made in time, I really want to keep going with making my Christmas cards throughout the year.  I'm tickled that I've combined new and old goodies on this card, the Mellow Moss CS hasn't seen daylight for such a long time but it was an excellent match to the buttons.  I haven't used the Holly Ribbons embossing folder in ages either - the spotty embossing folder I used on the pot is brand new, part of my birthday gift from the lovely Kelly. Actually, it's down to Kelly that I'm taking part in the 52 CCT challenges as she was the one who told me about the challenge.  Mind you, she's never taken part herself, naughty girl LOL!


Supplies:
Stamps: sentiments from Stampendous
CS: SU! Mellow Moss, Real Red & Whisper White
 Ink: SU! Cherry Cobbler & Real Red & Mellow Moss markers
Tools: Woodware large flower pot punch, Sizzix Rounded Tag Framelits die, 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" circle punches, Crafts Too Spots embossing folder, Cuttlebug Holly Ribbons embossing folder, circle Nestabilities dies, Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: American Crafts buttons, gold sparkly thread, gingham ribbon, rhinestone jewel, 3d foam tape



Photobucket

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I love Mellow Moss and miss it so much! Ruth your button tree is gorgeous - thanks for joining in again this week at 52CCT - Jacqueline xx

Rocky said...

Love the button tree and that shade of green is fab!

Mynn xx said...

Hi, Ruth! Fabulous card--LOVE those green buttons with touches of gold made into a tree!!! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

Sue said...

Wow what a fab button tree christmas card Luv Sue x

Louise van Vuren said...

Just found this and it's amazing...wish I'd thought of it. Do you mind if I CASE the tree?
Louise

01 09 10