Saturday 14 April 2012

Roy G. Biv Flowers Birthday Wishes Card - Simply Stampin' Challenge #55

This week at the Simply Stampin' challenge blog we have this fabby sketch to work with.  I hope you'll play along with us, I'd love to pop by your blogs to see what you've made!


I've seen quite a few Roy G. Biv cards on Pinterest and wanted to make one of my own.  When I said Roy G. Biv to my hubby and my card group ladies they didn't have a clue what I was on about!  Some might say no change there then LOL!  Anyway, Roy G. Biv stands for  the colours of the rainbow - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.  I'm always struck by these cards and thought it would be a really fun one to make.  As I was going to be using bright colours for my flowers I opted for a neutral black and white background.  For the three panels I embossed Whisper White CS with the Vintage Wallpaper folder.  I've used my new Blossom Party die plus the Boho Blossoms punch to make my rainbow of flowers and I added jewels to the flower centres.  My flower colours are Cherry Cobbler, Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron, Lucky Limeade, Wild Wasabi, Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Concord Crush and Wisteria Wonder.  It didn't take too long to die cut the flowers as I cut two colours at a time.  The 'Birthday Wishes' wording is from a stamp in the Happiest Birthday Wishes set - I've performed surgery on the stamp and lopped off the 'a little bit late' wording.


I used markers to colour the sentiment stamp for inside the card.  I kept the envelope black and white as I thought it would be nice for the recipient to have the bright surprise of the rainbow when they open the card.  I really like how this turned out, I think these rainbow cards make for happy little numbers!  Wouldn't butterflies work brilliantly for this as well?!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! Happiest Birthday Wishes set
CS: SU! Cherry Cobbler, Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight, So Saffron, Lucky Limeade, Wild Wasabi, Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Concord Crush, Wisteria Wonder, Basic Black & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Real Red, Tangerine Tango, Daffodil Delight, Wild Wasabi, Old Olive, Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Perfect Plum & Basic Black markers
Tools: SU! Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder, SU! Blossom Party die, SU! Boho Blossoms punch
Embellishments & accessories: SU! rhinestone jewels, glue dots



Photobucket

7 comments:

kelly said...

I must admit when I looked at this sketch, it kinda threw me, I was stumped by the simplicity, but your bright fun card looks so fab,the simple layout works perfectly for your rainbow of colours! I'd love to see it with butterflies or different sized hearts!
Kelly xx

Amanda Burditt said...

WOW! Love your card - those colours just scream happy!and the touches of black really brings everything together very nicely! Think you'll be seeing a CASE of this real soon! :P xx

Ellen said...

I LOVE this so much!!! Nice work.

Sandi Otway said...

Love both cards. I may case the first on for a bd next week

Margaret said...

Love the bright and beautiful flowers on this!Wonderful card!! So glad you explained Roy G. Biv! I had never heard this before, but what a great way to remember the colors!!

Kirei said...

This card is stunning Ruth! I love the bright colours against the white and black, they really pop! Like Margaret, Roy G. Biv was a new one for me too so thanks for explaining! Kirei x

Aileen said...

Didnt know what Roy G Biv was either so thanks for explaining. Absolutely stunning card. Love the bright colours, the sentiment on the inside and your envelope. x

01 09 10